Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 31, 2009

4 month check up and first night actually in his crib!

We had Logan's 4 month checkup yesterday and he is perfect! Here are his stats:
14 lbs 12 oz - 46%
24.5 inches long - 33%
17 in head - 72%

They had heard a heart murmer at his 2 month appointment and didn't hear that at all this time, so said there is nothing to worry about. She also noticed that he holds his head tipped to the right a lot, so she wants us to basically do some neck stretches. If we don't, his neck muscles can shorten. She said it wasn't very pronounced, but that we should start doing the stretches. He got 2 more shots and had to drink one. He took the liquid one with no problems, but when they gave him the shots, he immediately reacted this time, there was no lag. He turned beet red and starting crying. I had to wait until they gave him the next one before I could even pick him up. He was already getting fussy before they gave him the shot because he was so tired, so the shot didn't help his mood. I got him in the carseat and outta there as fast as possible and he feel asleep quickly. Was a little fussier than normal last night, but not too bad.

Dr. Kristen asked where he was sleeping and when I said the crib, she was happy. Then I fessed up that he was in the crib but still sleeping in the swing seat. She told me I needed to get him into the crib. That he would adjust better the faster I did it. She also suggested I stop giving him the "dreamfeed". The feeding he gets around 10/11 when Jason and I go to bed. She said at his weight he can easily go all night without eating, he doesn't need that last feeding. I told her I would do one or the other, crib or dreamfeed! Not both at the same time. So she said to get him in his crib first, then work on the taking away the dreamfeed. I also asked about swaddling and his night wakings. For swaddling she is all for it, says as long as he doesn't fight it there is no reason to stop. That some babies need that until they get rid of the startle reflex. She said the stronger he gets, he will just break out of the swaddle when he wants too. He is already doing this some nights, I have to re-swaddle him in the middle of the night because he has gotten his hands out and he is wide awake. As soon as I get him swaddled and give him his paci, he falls back to sleep. They suggested when we are ready to see if he is ready to be unswaddled to leave one arm out and see how he does. So we will try that when we are ready not swaddle him anymore. They said it's good cue for him to, to know that it's time for bed when he gets swaddled. His night wakings are normal apparently. Said a long as all he is doing it waking up for his paci and all we do is give it to him, no lights, don't pick him up, etc, that it is normal. Said around 6 months he will be able to get his own paci, so hopefully we won't need to go get it for him. As long as we don't show him it's fun to get up in the middle of the night by turning on lights, talking to him, picking him up that we are doing the right thing.

So with the push from the doctor, last night I changed Logan's sheets, found pillows to put under his mattress to elevate it to get it all ready for his first night. I took out the pillow from the swing he normally sleeps in and rolled up some blankets to put next to him so he still felt like he was in the swing. So after I gave him his bottle at 10:30, I put him in his crib. He moved around a lot trying to get comfy but after I gave him his paci, he settled right down! I went to bed and didn't hear from him again until 4:15. I went in, gave him his paci and back to sleep he went, this happened again at 5:30 and 6:30, and then he woke up at 8:30! He was totally happy! Here is a pic of him I took this morning. Hopefully it's this easy tonight too! We are still cheating a little because we put him to bed in his swing seat in our middle floor until we are ready to go to bed. It's just more convenient because then if he drops his paci or gets upset we only have to run up one flight of stairs to get him. Once we stop giving him the "dreamfeed" we will look into actually putting him in his crib when he goes to bed. I also need to get him in his crib for naps, but we still have to pin his arms down during naps or he wakes up all the time. So, we'll work on that too but for now we at least took one step and got him to sleep during the night in there! So hopefully once he gets used to that taking naps in there won't be a big deal.

No comments: