Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Watch out Below!

Yesterday I worked from home in the morning because Mom and I were going to check out a daycare, so I was home to get Logan up and play with him. After he had breakfast I was hanging out with him, practicing standing and doing what we call "superbaby", which is where I put him over my head. He is hilarious with this because he loves it but he is so stiff, his legs are always straight out, hence we call him superbaby. Jason and mom kept saying you better be careful with him over your head. Now, Logan drools a lot, so I said, no big deal he might just drool on my a little. NOT! He spit up all over my face! He was at the top of the superbaby game face down right over my face and he lost it. Hit my right in the face, thank goodness I had my mouth closed! I so wished we had been videoing that because I think we could have won America's funniest home video. We were all laughing so hard, Logan didn't know what was going on but he was enjoying it! After that, of course superbaby stopped. No more superbaby until WAY after a meal.

So onto the daycare. This is the home/center daycare that is pretty close to us. The neighborhood is nice, it's older, but the homes are nice. They daycare is on a cul-de-sac, and they are the only 3 houses. There wasn't a sign that called out that it was a daycare, which made it a little harder for us, but probably good for people passing by, since they would just assume it was people's home. The houses were well taken care of and clean. We met with the owner Gail Kelley who was very nice, grandmotherly type person. Everything about it sounded good, they have a 3:1 ratio which is better than required by the state, which is 4:1. The most recent employee had been there for 4 years and I think the others were 11 and 14 or so years. So very low turnover. They will follow whatever schedule/rules I set for them, for his eating/sleeping/etc. They have a room with cribs where all the babies sleep and they always have the same one. Hopefully Logan is sleeping in his crib by then, but they said if not, if he needs to sleep in a swing or carseat, etc, they will accommodate whatever we want. There was a baby asleep in his carseat in the crib while we were there, because that's what the mom said to do. I met my doctor's son, he was there yesterday. There were 4 babies the oldest 9 months there yesterday with 3 ladies plus the owner. So great ratio when we were there! Gail said that many of their mom's only bring their babies for a few hours a day. So I assume there are some part-time working moms and stay at home mom's who use them. I like this because that means that there will be a better ratio some of the time. So logan will get even more attention! The ladies we met all seemed very nice, they all seemed to be friends and really enjoy the babies. They had a lot of toys out on the floor and swings, bouncy seats, bumbo seats, all the things babies need. So basically all in all it seemed pretty good. We also checked out the toddler house and preschool house, which both seemed nice also. I really wasn't as concerned about those since it will be at least a year before he moves into those areas and if we decide we didn't like it for him we could look into moving him. So right now I am focused on the infant care. Gail also gave us 3 names to call for reference, all are using her now. Two of them are leaving soon so she wanted us to contact them so we could find out why they are leaving. One I know was leaving because they got into the Lilly daycare, had been on a waiting list and I forget what the other reason was. So we need to call those people for references. She also came to the breastfeeding group at Community when I went and knows one of the nurses that I worked with a lot. So I am going to call and talk to the nurse to see what she thinks. Assuming everything checks out okay, we can put a deposit down and hold his place and then he can start going part-time in March and then move to full time in April, which is what we need for now. The part-time first will be nice just to see how he does and make sure we like it before he starts going every day. I think we also need to drop by sometime before we decide to start also just to make sure it looks good on days they don't know people are coming to check it out.

I have a list of other places to call and check out also, just to compare, but this one does look promising so far. Having good recommendations from people I trust, like my doctor and possibly the nurse I worked with, assuming she has good things to say, make the decision a little easier.

No comments: