Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, October 17, 2008

Logan Made Weight!

Logan had a pediatrician appointment Tuesday and he now weighs 6.5 lbs! So he is back up to and past his birth weight of 6.1 lbs. By 2 weeks babies are supposed to be back up to their birth weight so Logan is on the right track. His weight is only in the third percentile so he is pretty small. He length is now 19 3/4 inches, so he has grown some and is in the 15th percentile for height. Everything else checked out great, his belly button is healing and looking good and his color is still good. So all systems go! Since his weight was up, our doctor told me to start weaning him off the formula and to cut back the pumping. I was so excited! Was thinking this would be a lot easier to do with just breastfeeding. She wanted me to go to the breastfeeding support group at the hospital so I could have a lactation consultant make sure he was latching on correctly so we knew he was getting the most breast milk he could. So after our doc appt I headed over to the group, I was late to the meeting so I called my friend Alissa because she had been to one of these before to make sure it was okay I was late, I wasn't sure if this was like a class or an open forum type thing. She said it was open, just mom's sitting around breastfeeding and talking. She warned me that it is quite strange but helpful because there are nurses to help and other mom's who might have advice. So Logan and I headed in and wow was it weird. There were about 20 mom's sitting in a circle breastfeeding. So we hesitated a moment, but then went ahead in and joined the group. The mom's were really nice, Logan wasn't ready to eat for awhile since i had just fed him, so I just listened to people talk for awhile. We ended up talking to a nurse, who checked out his latch and said it was great, I asked a few questions and then felt ready to start trying breastfeeding full time.

Our doctor had told me to give him formula if he wanted it after feeding and to still pump a few times a day. This made sense until I got home and actually started trying it. I couldn't figure out when Logan was done eating, as he never seemed to be. Only way I knew for sure was that he fell asleep. But then he would wake up a few minutes later and want to eat again. That night we couldn't get him to sleep either, took 2 hours to get him down, but the middle of the night feedings weren't too bad. I did give him some formula at night to make sure he was full and would sleep, but he was still waking every 2-3 hours, so that was hard, especially on Jason because he is back to work. For the past 2 days he has been more and more hungry and fussy and every night it is taking 1-2 hours to get him to go to sleep. I did some research and apparently there is a growth spurt between 2-3 weeks and this will make them eat more and be fussier. So I am assuming that is what is happening. It's not so fun now because before Logan was a lot more laid back and when he was awake would be content, now he is either eating, sleeping or crying. There isn't really a content, happy period anymore. So it's been pretty frustrating because he is inconsolable when he is crying sometimes. Logan and I weren't having the best day yesterday because he ate for 2.5 hours and then I still couldn't get him to go to sleep. He wanted to eat constantly and I hadn't been able to do anything since waking up, was still in my pj's, hadn't had breakfast, brushed my teeth, etc. I had talked to Jason a few times that day and he realized how frustrated I was getting so he actually came home early from work to help me. Course by the time he got home, I had put Logan in the sling and he had finally fallen asleep. I was afraid to take him out and give him to Jason because I didn't want him to wake up! So I napped with him attached to me, then throughout the entire night I had to rotate between breastfeeding him and giving him formula when he was too upset to breastfeed. We had company last night too, very difficult to entertain when Logan was like this. Chris and Kate had just gotten married and Kate was happy to see the stressful side of parenthood, she said most people just tell her how great it is, so she wanted to see the bad times too. We told him a week ago he was so easy! And hopefully in a few more days he will be back to that after this growth spurt!

Well, I have just been feeding him for 2 hours again and now he fell asleep on the boppy on my lap. Not sure if I can move him so I can get up and go shower, but I am going to try!

Wish my luck!

No comments: