Well, things haven't improved with my milk supply so we are still working on it. I met with the lactation consultant on Sunday and we tried many things. Logan was in his crabby mood where he wouldn't nurse well at all. This was good so I could show her the issues we have. We tried all kinds of things and nothing really seemed to work. She did say that Logan didn't have a very strong suck and that might be the reason my supply is low. So since Sunday she changed our routine because the pumping after feeding wasn't changing my supply. So now I don't nurse at all, I just give him bottles of breastmilk and formula and pump 8 times a day. This is a little easier since I am not breastfeeding him it cuts down on some of the time, but I have to pump longer since he isn't breastfeeding. It still seems to take an hour or more each time, which isn't a big deal during the day, but at 4am I wish it was faster! I went back to the support group Tuesday and the nurse I had worked with wasn't too happy that I wasn't getting much more when pumping. Basically my supply hadn't changed much with all the extra pumping. So she has now recommended I take a prescription drug that has been known to increase milk supply, Reglan. You only take it for 12 days and you have to ramp it up and back down. The main side effect is depression so we are going to have to watch out for that. But I have tried everything else and nothing is working, so looks like this is the last resort for us! Hopefully this medicine works. While taking this I have to pump constantly though to tell my body to produce more. So this won't be so fun!
Other than our issues with breastfeeding Logan is doing really well. He has gained weight again and now weighed 7.1 pounds at the doctor Monday. He also is 20 inches long so he has grown an inch! His preemie outfits are still fitting him though and some are even too big still. He has been eating a lot more in the past 2 days though so we are thinking he is hitting another growth spurt so maybe soon he will make it into the newborn clothes! I tried to find him a Halloween outfit and couldn't since I can't find any preemie ones, so he will have to make due with the pumpkin hat and ghost bib we have.
We have some new pictures that we took that I need to get uploaded. We had a little photo shoot on Sunday when Logan turned a month old! I will get those posted as soon as I can.
Other than that, nothing else too exciting going on with us, we are still just trying to get some sleep when we can!


No comments:
Post a Comment